B.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering
The B.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering programme is informed by the aspiration to train mechanical engineering professionals in the areas of design, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, building and maintenance of simple machines and machine elements, use of computer aided engineering tools, etc., with the highest level of professional competence, ethical responsibility and a spirit of enterprise.
The programme will prepare students for careers in the vast areas where mechanical engineering is applied such as in transport, automotive, industrial services, product manufacturing, and healthcare and construction industries, among others. With the skills students will acquire in this programme, they will be better equipped to improve individual and corporate performance, with the resultant impact on national productivity and economic growth.
The general philosophy of the Mechanical Engineering programme is to produce graduates with high academic standard and adequate practical background for self- employment as well as being of immediate value to industry and the community in general. The Degree programme in Mechanical Engineering of the Pan-Atlantic University is intended to provide a solid foundation in the principles and practices of engineering for young people who look forward to a career in engineering. It is also a preparation for those young people interested in an academic career and entrepreneurship in the area of engineering. Emphasis will be given to the knowledge of problem solving approaches, critical thinking about, and in-depth analysis of, engineering issues and problems, and the acquisition of a capacity for ethical and competent professional performance. Furthermore, the programme is informed by the aspiration to train mechanical engineering professionals in the areas of design, manufacturing, mechatronics/robotics, materials, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, fabrication of machinery and machine elements, electromechanical devices, use of computer aided engineering tools, etc., and who would uphold the highest intellectual, ethical and professional values that promote creativity, social responsibility, and the spirit of enterprise.
The programme will prepare students for careers in the vast areas where mechanical engineering is applied such as in aviation/aerospace, power plants, biotechnology, shipbuilding, oil and gas rigs and platforms, vehicle design & assembly, railway, military hardware, industrial robotics/automation, general maintenance, consumer product
manufacturing, healthcare, mechanized agriculture, HVAC and construction industries, among others. In reality, mechanical engineers can work anywhere given the versatility of the field. With the skills students will acquire in this programme, they will be better equipped to contribute to improving national productivity and economic growth in general while earning a decent living.
The fundamental aim of the Mechanical Engineering programme is tied to that of the University through the School of Science and Technology. It is to form competent and socially responsible engineering professionals who are committed to the promotion of the common good of society and the advancement of the engineering profession. The programme further aims to produce engineering manpower with the adequate knowledge and skills to handle engineering situations/problems competently and ethically. To achieve this, the programme will prepare the graduates:
- To design engineering projects and supervise their implementation.
- To design and make components, machines, equipment and systems.
- To design and develop new products and production techniques in industries.
- To install and maintain complex engineering systems so that they can perform optimally in our environment.
- To adapt and adopt exogenous technology in order to solve local engineering problems.
- To be able to exercise original thought, have good professional judgment and be able to take responsibility for the direction of important tasks.
- To develop appropriate leadership, interpersonal, organizational and entrepreneurial skills.
- To improve on indigenous technology to enhance local problems solving capability.
- To be conversant with all the materials, components, machines, equipment, production techniques and systems in Mechanical Engineering.
- To man and maintain the specific production equipment in Mechanical Engineering.
- To plan, manage and be responsible for quality control of the products and processes in the plant/factory.
- To be able to manage people, funds, materials and equipment.
Admission (UTME) Requirements
The following are the admission requirements for the five (5) year bachelor’s programme in mechanical engineering
- At least 5 credit passes in SSCE or equivalent (including English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and any other science subject) in not more than 2 sittings. In addition, courses like Further Mathematics and Technical Drawing will be an added advantage
- Score the minimum approved JAMB cut-off for the programe
- The required UTME subjects are: Mathematics, English and Physics, with one additional subject from either Chemistry, Biology or a core science subject.
- Pass PAU post-UTME screening.